The holiday season can be a chaotic time of year, filled with numerous temptations and occasions to overindulge. It is no wonder many people look at the holidays with a combination of anticipation and regret. Here are 10 easy ways to be proactive and keep your health and your spirits bright this holiday season.
- Budget wisely. Create a spending plan to avoid the stress of post-holiday regret for overspending. Also, be choosy on how you spend calories. After finishing your first helping, take a 10-minute break. Make conversation. Drink some water. Then recheck your appetite. You might realize you are full rather than getting a second helping.
- Drink to your health. Alcohol increases your appetite and diminishes your ability to control what you eat. A glass of eggnog can set you back 500 calories; wine, beer, and mixed drinks range from 150 to 225 calories. If you drink alcohol, have a glass of water or juice-flavored seltzer in between drinks.
- Put on your dancing shoes. Dancing is a great way to work off some holiday calories. If you are at a family gathering, suggest a walk before the feast or even between dinner and dessert or just take a break by yourself.
- Don’t shop hungry. Eat before you go shopping so the scent of Cinnabons or caramel corn doesn’t tempt you to gobble treats you don’t need.
- Schedule time for self-care. Schedule self-care activities (exercise, meditation, a hobby you enjoy) to remind yourself to take some time for yourself.
- Practice gratitude. This can include journaling about what you appreciate in your life, or letting others know the gratitude you feel.
- Engage in relaxation activities. This can include deep breathing, listening to soothing music or engaging in an imagery exercise.
- Be mindful of your emotions. Emotions may be positive, negative, or a combination of the two. Take time out for yourself and check in on your feelings. For some people, negative emotions may be related to unrealistic expectations or goals of themselves around the holidays, or from feeling overwhelmed. It may help to adjust goals so they are specific and achievable.
- Monitor your stress level. Make note of your stress level at various times during the day. Does your stress increase around certain people? Or involving specific activities? Have a list of activities you can engage in to relax for a few minutes. Perhaps this is taking a walk, doing a few minutes of yoga, or listening to a favorite song.
- Take care of your physical health. Ensure adequate sleep and a nutritious diet to keep your immune system strong.
Insight Wellness Works is based in St. Petersburg, Florida, and has been serving employers in Tampa Bay and its surrounding cities since 2010. We have a large team of credentialed wellness professionals offering a suite of workplace wellness services that focus on health promotion and disease prevention. We change lives and transform the culture of health in workplaces. Contact us today to discuss how we can help your business and employees achieve wellness goals.